Topband: Antenna Analyzers

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Antenna Analyzers
From: ABowenN4OO <abowen@nettally.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:40:41 -0500
In Compendium 7, there is a very comprehensive article by AC6LA, "T-Time For The Analyzers".

He evaluated 4 devices: MFJ 259B, Autek RF 1 and VA 1, AEA CIA-HF.

A summary of his results showed that the 259B had the smallest margin of error and the VA 1 had the largest margin of error. Before drawing any overall conclusions, one should read the article, study the charts and read the bibliography. Each device has advantages and disadvantages.

I own the 259B and the Autek RF 1. I find the resistance and SWR measurements in fairly close agreement. Reactance is another matter. The numbers I measure are not accurate enough to design matching networks. I subsequently constructed a sort of universal L/C network (plugs, jacks and jumpers) that I take to the base of the vertical or the end of a transmission line. I then adjust the network for 1:1 SWR, measure the values of L and C with the RF 1 and construct the network. It works every time provided the operator does not make some dumb mistake such as a poor connection to ground.

INK N4OO