Re: Topband: Autek VA1 Users/Owners ??

To: "Mike Rhodes" <weightdn@adelphia.net>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Autek VA1 Users/Owners ??
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:44:39 -0600
"Just  wondering how you like the VA1 and if you have compared it to
anything
else? Read the mixed reviews on e-ham and get the impression that it
is a
very nice unit - when it works - which may not be too long, that the
constructon and quality control is somewhat shakey, and that the
warranty
may not be worth the paper it is written on."

Mike,

I've had a VA1 for nearly ten years.  It's been dropped, left out in
the rain, subjected to strong RF fields, and probably abused in some
ways I can't remember.  After all this, it remains accurate and,
because of its size, very handy for tower work.

Sometimes,  the display becomes dim and erratic.  When this happens, I
open the unit and use an alcohol wipe to clean the pins that connect
the upper and lower PWBs.  A very thin coating of Vaseline helps keep
the oxidation down.

My only complaint: I wish they'd used gold-plated pins.  But you can't
have everything in a device that costs so little and survives so long.
Calibration has remained in-spec through it all, too.

73,
Brad, KV5V