Re: Topband: Cone of Silence

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Cone of Silence
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 06:02:36 +0000

I am not personally
convinced that there is really a "cone of silence", but why not use these
lengths in case there is such a beast. My impression is that when we adjust
the exact length of the beverage the most predominate effect is to adjust
the phase of the signals being picked up by the vertical feeds so that they
differ by 180 degrees.(in some direction)

> ... do I assume rightly that the
> COS lengths recommended do NOT include the
> 15 to 20 meter sloping termination lengths at
> each end?

And the only thing achieved by the sloping termination is avoiding the necessity of using a separate guy wire to hold up the pole where the wire is terminated. You have the same vertical antenna component whether the wire is sloped down gradually over a 15-20m. length or whether it is terminated immediately with a vertical wire.

Don K4KYV