Re: Topband: Cone of Silence

To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cone of Silence
From: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 07:36:32 -0700
Don and Tom,

My understanding of the operational characteristics of the Beverage antenna
is that the use of sloping terminations eliminates the requirement of
special efforts to cancel the reception of vertically polarized signals in
ALL directions that would be picked up by a few feet of vertical termination
wire off a pole.

I understand that the vertically polarized signals from the "front" of the
antenna will be received equally well by the sloping termination of the
antenna or a vertical termination wire.  BUT, the sloping termination
continues the characteristic of the Beverage antenna, in that it
predominantly responds to signals in the plane of the axis of the antenna.

The vertical termination wire allows vertically polarized signals from ALL
directions to degrade the performance of the Beverage antenna.  I disagree
that the quantity of signal induced in this manner is not detrimental to
performance.  All you have to do is insert a short piece of wire into the
antenna jack of your receiver to know how much signal that short piece can
deliver.

I believe that small amount of signal from unwanted directions can, in many
instances, totally obsure a weak signal from the desired direction.

Comments?

Milt, N5IA