Re: Topband: Non-inductive resistors

To: Larry Higgins <n9dx@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Non-inductive resistors
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:15:34 -0500
Joe Wilkowski wrote:

> Folks,
> can anyone recommend a source for relatively inexpensive non-inductive
> resistors.  I have exhausted my supply.  I need  ~ 6 or so resistors in the
> 450-500 ohm range (1 watt or better) for my beverages.  They are hard to
> single source and very expensive even in lots.  In addition, many
> manufacturers say they are non-inductive but that is not necessarily true at
> 1.8 MHz.    Carbon composition seem to be the only non-inductive resistors at
> 2 MHz.

In the 500 Ohm range at 1.8 MHz resistor inductance
is generally not a problem (except with wirewound).
To get only 1 Ohm of reactance takes 88 nH of inductance.
Most general-purpose resistors are well below that value.
Even 10 Ohms (880 nH) are insignificant, changing
the phase angle by a mere 1.1 deg.

In this resistance range parallel capacitance
is generally more of a problem. However, at 1.8 MHz
that is also insignificant, as it takes 3.5 pF for a
similar phase angle change.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN