Topband: phased flags

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: phased flags
From: Ron Feutz <feutz@wctc.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 11:02:18 -0600
Topbanders,

I am going to try a pair of broadside flags. Spacing will be ~ 200'. I plan to use 50 ohm lines to a tee, with a UNUN to get back to 50 ohms for the run to the shack. The main line will be quite short, as the antennas will bracket the house. I want to use the antenna 160 thru 40.

Q's:

Any obvious design problems?

Recommendations on a preamp? I think I will have enough signal to be usable without a preamp, due to using flags vs. pennants, and phasing 2 of them, and using a short main feed line. I will probably use an in-shack preamp to equalize the signal to that of other antennas. Anyone with experience using this set-up to confirm or correct me on this? It seems the available pre-amps will all do the job. Any strong preferences?

I have reviewed the literature and the reflector but there is a lot of info and sometimes it conflicts.

73,

Ron