RE: Topband: TOPBAND : Antenna reception 160/80 ?

To: "f5tni" <f5tni@free.fr>, "160" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: TOPBAND : Antenna reception 160/80 ?
From: "Richard Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 09:57:22 -0800
I put up 30m and 40m inverted vee's on
a 60 foot (18 meter) mast.  They are at
right angles on a common feed line.  Believe it
or not, these make great receive antennas
on 80 and 160.  In terms of signal to noise
ratio, they are as good as my 400 foot (120 meters)
long beverages.  However, they are omnidirectional.
Previously, I had an 80 meter inverted vee on
the same mast.  It was OK as a receive antenna,
but not as good as the current 30m/40m setup.
I suspect what is happening is that most of my
noise is vertically polarized.  I suspect that
the 80 meter inverted vee had too much vertical
pickup due to the ends being close to the ground.
I would be interested to know if anyone else
has run into this.

Since you have 90 meters, you might try a beverage
that length.  At my QTH, the high ground conductivity
prevents me from using long beverages even though
I have the space.  The extra wire simply doesn't
do anything.  Even at 120 meters, my beverages are
quite directional, with a lot of rejection off the
sides and back.

Rick N6RK