Topband: Mea culpa

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Mea culpa
From: Fred Jensen <k6dgw@foothill.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:39:29 -0800
Hmmm ... now I know why 1832.5 always seemed to be a good place to CQ in
the SP!  I didn't see the window mentioned in the SP rules for 2003, and
I was aware that the ARRL had dropped it from their bandplan, so I
forgot about it.  I'm sorry if I stepped on anyone (I got no responses
from the "window police" but perhaps they were after those with more
power and other-than-a-cloud-warmer antenna).  The good news about this
transgression is that I only got in about 2.5 hrs in the SP this year,
and only CQ'd for about 15 min total.

I remind myself yet again that, contrary to what my government sometimes
seems to think, the US does not make the rules for the rest of the
world.  Where a window should be and who should be in it calling CQ is
obviously complex, given worldwide allocation differences and the "My DX
isn't Your DX" issue, and such decisions are way above my pay grade.

Until it's resolved, I will put 1830-1835 on a post-it note in a red
circle with a line through it, and stick it to the shelf that holds the
rig (and all the other post-it notes).  Again, I apologize if I stepped
on anyone, 160 is often my only chance to be a gentleman and I hate to
blow it.

I did manage KH7X for 9 pts, which blew me away -- anything over about
1,100 km is pretty much out of reach for me.  SP is indeed a fun contest
... wish I had been able to get more time in.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98