Re: Topband: Transceiver Key Clicks

To: "Thomas Kuehl" <ac7a@earthlink.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Transceiver Key Clicks
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:02:43 -0500
If you get on the Elecraft reflector archives, and search on "clicks"
you will see quite a thread on it. I have a K2, and I have measured
the clicks on mine.

A crude summary, K2 does have clicks, but because not normally
associated with QRO, doesn't get noticed much. Not as bad as an
unmodified MP, but fairly bad.

On the positive side, the company is currently beta-testing a fix
which is both a new second order filter on the CW keying waveshape
(rounding both start and finish of each transition), and some QSK
timing modifications in the firmware to match. Early results
reportedly show bandwidth confined to +/- 250 Hz or less, regardless
of keying speed. Apparently as good as anything on the market.

Will be available as an upgrade kit relatively soon, and incorporated
into new sets at some point in the future.

Guy.