Re: Topband: Beverages over Radials

To: gm3poi@btinternet.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages over Radials
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 13:28:42 -0400
Clive, I ran a long beverage over a salt pond (brackish water with high salt content) near my QTH and its performance was not good until I ran the same wire over earth. Another attempt was to use the top strand of an electric fence no longer in use. I also ran for 1500 feet straight west and the other two barbed wires were spaced below and grounded to the metal fence posts very 20 feet. I expected a winner and was very disappointed. Again the performance was lackluster. A 500 foot 3 foot high Beverage over the hay field next to my house running in the same direction beat it hands down. All systems were terminated with a 500 ohm resistor and a ground rod with a few short radials.

I tired to chime in recently on the two wire vertical spaced Beverage thread but the experts said I was wrong when I suggested it would be better ot space two wire Beverages apart horizontally, based on experience with a good conductor beneath a Beverage. But then again the bottom wire of the suggested two wire antenna was part of the system and presumably not grounded except at the termination or through the matching transformer. That may make a big difference. But as I mentioned in an earlier post that everything I have ever read about the classic Beverage is that in order to develop a wave tilt and significant pattern shaping with nulls, the conductivity beneath the Beverage wire "must" be inferior to the wire above itself. By traveling faster in the wire than the earth below the signal is enhanced according to Mr. Beverage himself.

I will probably get flamed for saying this but I just look at the cards that are dealt to me and this is what I see.

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ

Clive GM3POI wrote:

I'm not sure whether this subject has been aired before, but given that a
Beverage needs ideally to run over lossy ground. Is it the collective wisdom
that a Beverage running for a large percentage of it's length over a radial
field won't work as well. That is for the moment Ignoring  coupling to the
Tx antenna. Has anyone proved this to be the case. 73 Clive GM3POI