RE: Topband: Beverages over Radials

To: "'Herb Schoenbohm'" <herbs@vitelcom.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: Topband: Beverages over Radials
From: "Charles Hutton" <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 10:52:43 -0800
Herb:

The poor performance over salt water is no surprise. The pattern of an
antenna over salt water isn't even recognizable as a Beverage to me.
Assuming 5 and 80 for conductivity and dielectric constant, a NEC simulation
will yield sidelobes and a rear lobe that have more gain than the forward
lobe (and a very strange overall shape). This is purely a result of
conductivity under the antenna; the high dielectric constant of salt water
has virtually no effect.

Even allowing for the fact that simulations might be off some, there's
clearly a large degradation in performance over highly conductive surfaces.

Chuck