Topband: First JA QSO's

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: First JA QSO's
From: K1ZM@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:32:40 -0500
My memories of my first JA qso's are these:

1)  CQ 160M Contest January 1981 - working JA2GQO and JA1DDH from NP4A - which
I think may have been the first ever JA qso's from the Caribbean.

2) My first JA qso from K1ZM was with JA2GQO (after many skeds) on January 7,
1984.

JA3ONB heard my qso with Kinji and tail-ended.  They were the first and I
continue to be excited to work JA from out EAST.

3) I worked my first JA from VY2ZM this week - JA1JRK on sked this past
Wednesday - quickly followed by JA5DQH (who was lurking in the background)
followed by two JA8 stations who were there as well.

It is always a real thril to work JA's from so far away on Topband.

They are really FB operators who often suffer from really poor RX condx (due to
small parcels of land being available).

I recall with real wonder, for example, seeing JA1ELY's parcel which was about
a third of an acre - on which was placed one small house and 3 tall towers!

It makes you really appreciate how difficult topband can be in some overseas
locations where real estate is both scarce and VERY EXPENSIVE!

73 JEFF

K1ZM/VY2ZM