Topband: The Beginnings of Ham radio

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: The Beginnings of Ham radio
From: "Chris Zeal" <chris@profile-technology.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:14:41 -0000
Hi All

It has been very interesting to read of the early experiences of radio - many
from North America.

Now in my sixtieth year I still remember vividly my first home made radio.

Although born in the UK I spent the years between 10 and 16 with Canadians
first in North Bay, Canada and then in Zweibrucken, Southern Germany.

In one of the comic books doing the rounds among the kids at the forces school
in Germany there was an article about a crystal set using a razor blade and a
pencil lead as a detector. The other component was a large coil.  I set about
constructing this basic receiver  - it didn't work too well.  The next stage
was to get hold of a crystal diode and try again.  This time with 30 foot of
wire to a fence behind our apartment and a croc clip on the radiator I received
my first broadcast station.  It was mid winter and snowing heavily.  The thrill
of wondering how those clear voices and music reached my ears through the snow
will always be with me.  It was magic and it was 1957.

Some years later in 1961 on a converted tank set I heard my first top band QSO
and went on to get my license.  From this start I entered a long career in
telecommunications.

Now I have returned to 160 and worked my second USA station on the band -
N4CQC.  It was nearly as good as that day in 1957.

All the best to our readers.

Chris G4BGM

PS: Any hams in North Bay or Zweibrucken reading this?  How about a sked?

---

Chris Zeal
Managing Director
Profile Technology Ltd