Re: Topband: 160 Pioneer W5SUS

To: <W5USM@aol.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Pioneer W5SUS
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 15:46:17 -0500
Gee, I feel bad. I submitted a column to Worldradio before this thread
started. Now it is partially out of date before being printed, hi hi.

I'm sure everyone from the 60's and 70's remembers W5SUS. All those dits!
I'd like to have heard John work EI5HE through the QRN.

Another 5 call that sticks in my mind is K5JVF.

Also W2IU, who used to sit and run Europeans on 160 CW. W4EX Claude who
owned the band for working VK's in the 70's, and Dale W6VSS (now K6UA) who
just had an outstanding signal. In the early 60's I remember tuning in a
very weak W6YY (near 2000Kc/s) with two-half waves on a 450 ft tower on Mt
Wilson, and just a Kc or two below him was W6VSS just pounding in like a
local.

Many fists had a swing, and I could often tell who it was just by listening
to the fist. W5SUS and K5JVF were no exception. EI9J, W1BB, W2IU, W2EQS,
G3PU, they all had a certain swing. Keyers sure changed that.

73, Tom W8JI