Re: Topband: 160 Nostalgia

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Nostalgia
From: <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:52:50 -0800
Another easy to spot fist- KH6CC.   even into the 90s and beyond, that
call could be picked out of the noise just from the cadence..  that
credits his contact with me from XZ1N.

Anyone remember which ZL (I think it was ZL3IQ?)  that Alex, W6KIP,
had a nightly schedule with in the late 50s and early 60s?  I remember
listening regularly to see if I could hear anything, don't recall ever
hearing ZL/VK at my place during that period, but, then, I didn't have
much except a tuned loop and a HQ-140X to listen with..

I remember participating in the very first CQ160CW contest  - when was
it? 1960?  I seem to recall working 110 contacts, or there about,
especially including Stew, W1BB and Charlie, W2EQS (or maybe that
number was in the second running)..  Listening on 1801 through the
Loran pulses coming across the Santa Barbara channel (from Point
Conception as I recall) is something my ears are still ringing from..

2000 Kcs.    1999.5 if you had a GOOD radio, 1999 if you were not so
sure, except when the marine ships were yelling on their ship-shore
phone calls on 2004 Kcs, then we all had to move down or be deaf.

Robin, WA6CDR