Topband: JA openning to the Carribean on 160

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: JA openning to the Carribean on 160
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:39:03 -0400
On Saturday morning I checked for DX on 160 and the band sounded really strange and then just before sunrise there they were, oodles of JA's sounding like East Coast W's all a conservative 579. I worked on 1824.5:

JA8ISU
JH7ATR
JH8SRH
JA1JRK
JA7NI
JA7VSB

I almost made it with JH0BBE but the key clicks from a JA operating from HI8 made further qso's impossible as the sun was already up. The irony of this propagation is that the signals were equal on the W Beverage and the SW Beverage for the most part. I was amazed at the equal level of most signals from JA. None were ESP as in the past. Later on Saturday night this was followed by a super opening to Europe where in many eastern Europeans were worked. DF2PY, Wolf was peaking 20 dbs over 9 when he called me. This morning I tried again but heard nothing from JA but got a 599 from KH6AT.

I have never heard anything like this before. The signals from JA sounded like they were n some sort of a ducting mode. I know this is not scientific analysis but only my many years of listening experience to DX signals on 160 that these signals did not appear to be normally propagated over traditional great circle paths any comments?

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ