Re: Topband: dynamic range

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: dynamic range
From: Sinisa Hristov <shristov@ptt.yu>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:21:00 -0500
Jim Jarvis wrote:

> Real point?  The S meter responds to AGC voltage, which doesn't
> necessarily follow a logarithmic response curve, over more than
> the center 50% of the range.  Maybe less.  The S meter is only
> useful as a relative indicator, and only instrumental when used
> with a calibrated step-attenuator.  (too much like work)

I've even found that S meters do not respond strictly to envelope peak voltage,
or envelope average voltage (in the case of speech or other varying signals).
Indication can be anywhere from peak to average, depending on peak duration,
envelope crest factor, etc.  A lot of care is needed in interpreting results.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT, VA3TTN