Re: Topband: Invisable Fence Issues

To: "KQ8RP" <kq8rp@gordonsweb.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Invisable Fence Issues
From: "Brad Rehm" <brehm@ptitest.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:05:53 -0600
"Can anyone provide me any help in how to cure noise issues generated
by neigbors invisable fence?  It causes noises about every 10khz about
10 over S9.

"Thanks
Scott"

As Gary said, it'll be tough to fix this one without taking it apart
and making lots of changes.  There may be some other options, though.

When a piece of gear causes problems like this, I always wonder how
and if it met FCC Part 15 emissions requirements.  It's probably a
low-power emitter because it has to send a signal that the dog's
collar can pick up.  That makes it an intentional radiator, which has
to meet specific field strength and signal quality requirements.  The
next question is whether it's operating properly and whether you're
hearing it because of the sensitivity of your rig and the proximity of
your antenna to the fence.  If your antenna passes within 5 feet of
the fence, you might want to move it.  If it's more than 100 feet from
the fence, the emissions should be very weak.

I would want to know the manufacturer and model number of the product.
Then, I could go to the FCC web site and find the status of the
filing.  It's also possible to read the report from the lab that did
the testing.

In spite of the fact that the FCC can levy fines against manufacturers
that ignore the rules, many manufacturers import and sell products
that aren't compliant.  This is probably one of many such products
that are manufactured in the far east.  There are labs there which
will test a product and generate a report that shows it passes.  Even
if it doesn't.  (There are stateside labs that will do this too.)  I
know this because I've re-tested some of these and been surprised at
what I've found.  There are also many products out there that have
never been tested and should be.

Bottom line: if this product doesn't have a Part 15 mark on it, you
can file a complaint with the FCC and ask that your neighbor
disconnect it.  If he bought it from a local source, he'll probably be
able to return it after he shows a copy of your FCC complaint to the
store manager.

Good luck.

Brad, KV5V