Topband: EWE Question - YV5MBX

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: EWE Question - YV5MBX
From: "Javier Remoto" <jlopez@plasticosomega.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:32:24 -0400
Hi,

I ask you for help beause I had installed and EWE in my concrete

Flat Roof Top but without sucess.

The EWE is 10 ft high & 39 ft length with a terminating resistor of 1200 ohms.

I am using an Advanced Receiver Research preamp at the shack, and the antenna
works but worst than my shunt feed tower.

I check for interaction between the antennas and none at all.

I have a big noise floor smaller than the received using the tower but with
more problems to copy signals.

I have installed a BC filter to avoid spurious emmision from local Broadcast
stations.

I thought that the problem could be electrical so I installed a ferrite core
between the Pre-Amp power supply and the pre-amp by itself, and the noise floor
still there avoiding me to have a good copy of signals.

Testing agains DX Broadcast Stations (without filter) no problem but in 1.8 Mhz
I have to use the NB & NR fully clock-wise at the radio to listen signals in
the United States at least 3 db less than my vertical. So no benefits for me
!!!!

I don´t know if it has some kind of adverse effect   that the antenna coax goes
through an external antenna selector (Ameritron RV-8) or maybe that two 4
inches  metal pipes with AC power lines goes below the antenna in a 90 deg
angle.

I change my Pre-Amp for another one of the characterisitcs with the same
results.

Ideas welcome!!!

73's de Javier