Topband: back from 3B9... thanks

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: back from 3B9... thanks
From: Eric Scace K3NA <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 13:16:25 -0500
Hi everyone --

   Just got home last night from 3B9C and back on the reflector.  I had a
chance to read some of the postings here while at
Rodrigues and the information was helpful/encouraging to G3SED, G3XTT and me.

   Our last few nights before the first group of operators left for home were
pretty disappointing as far as USA openings were
concerned.  We couldn't raise anything on the west coast after the N7UA QSO,
and as everyone knows the window of common darkness is
down to almost nothing now.  That said, N7UA was worked many minutes before
3B9C sunset... and we worked another station in east
Washington state around a half-hour before his sunset during our sunrise
enhancement one morning.

   But conditions over the last week were definitely down compared to the first
week's experience.  North America openings at the NA
sunset times have been quite ordinary: weak signals, starting to show up as the
terminator arrived, and hearing stations as far as
W5 before sunrise at Rodrigues shut down the path.  We were really glad that we
were on top band the first nights when signals were
loud and more geographically widespread (and we got that ever-so-cool
flip-of-the-switch openings).

   Thanks again for all the fun!

-- Eric K3NA

   (Now I have to figure out how to work the second crew of ops at 3B9C myself!)