Topband: mode separation...small stn dx oppty

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: mode separation...small stn dx oppty
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:09:08 -0000

If you go back to the 60's, when hardy souls worked topband
dxcc with 40 watts, we can't really say we had "A" dx window.
In fact, we had a system of enforced split operation, which
had SEVERAL dx windows.  US, EU, JA and others had small,
defined TX windows.

Things changed, of course, when Loran shut down, and the band
reverted to our full use.

Our current concept of THE DX WINDOW has emerged with the
arrival of guys from 20 and 75, where the small signal
challenges aren't as great as top band, and the need to
operate split isn't as great.

Which brings me to my point:  Very little new has happened
on this band in some time.  Yet, we have psk31 and other weak
signal digital modes permitting moonbounce with moderate sized
stations.  Properly applying these techniques would enable
moderate stations to routinely use the band for international work.

With GPS based timing systems available, synchronous detection of
sub-noise level signals is possible.  We're missing the boat by
thinking that CW is "narrow band", or even the best mode to pursue
weak signal work.

A system of multiple TX and listening windows, with enforced split
for weak signal work is the only way to make this sane.  "The" window,
as presently constituted, doesn't work well.  Chew on that topic for
a while!

n2ea
jimjarvis@ieee.org