Topband: a little more on 3B9C statistics

To: "Topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: a little more on 3B9C statistics
From: "Eric Scace K3NA" <eric@k3na.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:20:49 -0400
   Someone asked how many unique calls are in the list of North America QSOs
with 3B9c on 160m.  A manual count of duplicates
reveals:

... of 563 North America QSOs...
... 22 QSOs were for a second mode...
... 30 QSOs were duplicates...
... leaving 511 unique calls...

   One North American station made 3 QSOs on the same mode, and one made 4 QSOs
on the same mode.  The other 23 duplicates were a
second QSOs on the same mode.

   My personal reaction is that the duplicate level is rather low: < 6%.  For a
band with marginal openings, and nights of bad QRN,
this seems reasonable.

   I confess to contributing a duplicate QSO in the log (on SSB, even!) because
(a) I didn't hear a confirmation that my call was
logged successfully (an untimely static crash, and K1NA was in the pileup as
well), and (b) it was the last night of 3B9C
operations -- so no more chances!  I suspect there are similar stories behind
most of the other dupes.

73,
   -- Eric K3 Numerical Analysis