RE: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: RE: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty
From: Peter Koehler <Peter.Koehler@nau.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 04:54:58 -0700
Two thoughts: What is a small 160m station? I don't consider a 1 kw
station a small station even on 160m. We all know that it is relatively
easy for stations with high power power to work DXCC in one season if
they are close (<5000 km) to many DXCC entities. A few years ago Bernie
W3UR lamented that 100 w DXCC can be worked in one season from the East
Coast. Comments reflected how many 100 w West Coast have done that! It
is surprising to look at the who's who list at topbander.com and see how

few 100w stations have worked DXCC.

My second thought stems from the apparent lack of interest of the ARRL
and FCC for an official band plan. I think if topbanders approach the
FCC about concerns for 160m they should be more apparent. Things I think

the FCC could do to benefit 160m are concerns about out of band
operations from marine radios and fishing beacons ( wonder if east cost
and midwest folks have the same problem we have out west?). Perhaps the
FCC could help in regards to spurious emissions emanating from broadcast

stations ( though many are non-USA stations which they may not be able
to do any thing). For the most part the gentleman's agreement for mode
separation is working. Really, only on major SSB contest weekend does
this become a problem. If topbanders are really concerned about
official mode separation on 160m, I think it should be done in steps.
The ARRL does occasionally publish a considerate guide to band
operations this sometimes include the "DX window" which I feel is most
important. I think if topbanders can make the ARRL understand that CW is

still a very important mode for 160m communication they may in time
allow a recognized gentleman's band plan.

Pete KJ7WY