Re: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband:mode separation...small stn dx oppty
From: SteamBoilers@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 04:16:28 EDT
>What is a small 160m station?

>Mine is 100 watts to a 100 ft long dipole fed as a long wire on  a
>Chicago city lot. I can't even HEAR DX on 160, let alone work it.

J>im K9YC

Hello Jim
In the early 70s with a lot with no front garden and 66ft back  garden.
Legal limit of 10W input. Rx that was so wide there was no need to
move the big dial much. Technical Know how very minimal. For us
working an OK / OL station was Dx. It took three years to work 23
countries. Still got PY ZP9 VP8 USA VE in the log. Looking back to
the call signs a lot are still about today on 160. It can be done.  It
took a lot of pain for not much gain, lots of hours when most were
in bed. I think that's why I stop with 160. That is why it is so
important to have a narrow band section to help the small stations
that put in a tremendous effort to get the calls in the log I choose
to jump out of aeroplanes, the buzz working Mike and Steve in  VK
and a lot of others world wide has never gone away. Now with a big
Lot the effort is a lot less, but the hours required to get the  results
remain the same. It would be very sad to see 160 destroyed
because an effective band plan is not implemented. I have no
objections to turning the gear off for a few days a year for SSB
contests. but without a splatter free zone the small stations
on cw wont remain on 160 for the next generations.
Best regards
Alan Downing
G3ZES