Re: Topband: Beverage insulators for 450 ohm line

To: garry@ni6t.com, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage insulators for 450 ohm line
From: "Missouri Guy, N0TT" <n0tt1@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:35:11 +0000
Hi Gary, et al

> I went to the Zareba (not Zebara) site and

D'Oh!!  Sorry abt the spelling!

> The local feed/fuel/hardware stores in our upscale
> suburban area
> have maybe 2 or 3 kinds.

Polytape electric fencing is just starting to become popular
around here (perhaps only for horses), so the stores stock
to stuff.  I have seen other another variety of insulator for
polytape but the PT25WP is one to use...much stronger
locking tab at the top.

> I use 300 ohm ladder line for my modest
> Bevs and
> have yet to have an insulator that does not overstress the
> line--especially
> when tree branches or entire trees fall on the wire.

When trees fall on the line you WANT the insulator to give
way before the line breaks.   I once fastened a line very
securely to a tree...tree limb fell and it broke the
line.  It wasn't a big limb either!  These will open up and allow
the line to fall if they are overstressed.  They are strong enough
to support a line that has a coating of ice and have never
blown off in a wind.

BTW, my supports are ~70' apart.

73
Charlie    N0TT