Re: Topband: inverted L favored direction

To: bohnovic@bellsouth.net, epetek1@att.net, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: inverted L favored direction
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 07:09:07 -0700
John, K4WJ wrote:

"Does this mean that if I have an inverted L in my back yard with the
vertical portion of the antenna on the southern edge of my lot and the
horizontal section running due north that the favored direction of the
antenna will be to the south?"
==========
Yes, it does.

The longer the horizontal portion is, the greater the "F/B" will be.  For
example, an inverted L that is 50% vertical and 50% horizontal has a F/B
of about 0.9 dB, but one with 25% vertical and 75% horizontal has a F/B
of about 2.5 dB.

Of course, as the horizontal portion gets longer, the angle of max
radiation becomes higher and the feedpoint impedance becomes lower

The 50/50 inverted L has max radiation at about 27 degrees above the
horizon over average soil and a feedpoint Z of about 22 ohms at
resonance, while the 25/75 inverted L has max radiation at about 35
degrees and a feepoint Z of about 9 ohms.

73, de Earl, K6SE