Re: Topband: 160m noise

To: <jmaass@columbus.rr.com>, "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Larry Molitor" <w7iuv@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m noise
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 19:15:34 -0800
Jeff,

I found an FT-240-77 wrapped around the power cord of my
R4C (long story). In any case, I took it off and measured it with
a Network Analyzer and then dumped the data to M-S Excel:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Ferrite_Data/Ferrite.htm

Please excuse the quality of the plot image (I need to figure out
a better way to display these Excel plots in Frontpage). In any
case, it's pretty clear that this core provides maximum choking
impedance around 1.2 MHz. Beyond that the permeability starts
to fall off rather significantly (you can see this in the Fair-Rite
products mu-s data for type 77 material). At 0.8 MHz, the phase
angle of the impedance is about 45 deg (|R| and |X| components
about equal). In the lower HF region (including 160 meters) the
impedance becomes mainly resistive (don't use this material for
transmitting applications). I only measured 1 to 6 turns, but
extrapolating from the data which seems to follow the Z = Al * N^2
relationship, you could probably get > 800 ohms of choking |Z| from
the material on 160 meters by increasing from the number of turns
from 6 to 8.

I have data out to 50 MHz if anyone is interested.