Re: Topband: sloper puzzler

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: sloper puzzler
From: "Greg - ZL3IX" <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 07:14:53 +1300
I'd just put up an Inverted
V dipole, and be done with it. Or do something else less
risky.

Being such an advocate of vertical polarisaton Tom, I'm really surprised to hear you say that.

Apart from the (possible) problems of getting RF currents where you don't want them, the sloper represents a really convenient way of getting RF current high up in the mast, which is where you want it for radiation. I use one here in Christchurch, and it represents the most efficient way for me to launch a vertically polarised wave. I am about to replace it with a true top feed arrangement (as per Radcom of a year or two back) but my sloper has given me excellent service for 3 years. I don't usually have a problem making you guys over there hear me, sometimes even with 100W, so it can't be doing too badly!

Surely with shunt feeding at the base, you have to be just as careful not to get the RF where you don't want it?

73, Greg, ZL3IX