Topband: Re: Planned 3D2 (Fiji) 1 person Ops - looking for advice

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Re: Planned 3D2 (Fiji) 1 person Ops - looking for advice
From: brianboschma <brianb@brianboschma.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:25:13 -0800

Gentlemen,

As a newbie to top band I have some questions about ops from Fiji. I make an annual trip to do a bit of surfing on some of the spectacular reefs surrounding a 2 acre island. In years past I have passed time operating on the HF bands 80 thru 10 meters. I have worked out a system to erect large verticals on these islands and am interested in trying to do operations on 160 meters.

The questions:

1. Is March / April too late in the season for reasonable propagation into Europe/Asia/U.S. ?

2. What should I expect for best propagation windows ?

3. I notice the boys at Team Vertical believed 3D2 to be rare on 160, is this the case ?

THe cost for me to try 160 vs the other bands is small, but I would prefer to focus on bands where I will have the best shot at getting more operators a QSO from 3D2. My QTH will be in the Manumuca group (OC 121) on a dot in the Pacific.

Regards,

Brian n6iz/3d2iz