Topband: Short Receive Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Short Receive Antennas
From: "Kevin Nathan" <k7rx@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 20:57:09 -0800
Hi All,

I read all of the articles here on Beverages with lust but live in such a
situation where putting one up is not in the cards until I move to a better
radio location.  In the interim, I need to put up something that will give
me low noise receive capability.  I don't necessarily care if it has any
gain or directivity at the moment.  I have a coax loop right now built after
the specs of KC2TX's system and using his box to tune it but it does not
seem to play well here with my PT-3, even when I put in the preamp on the
transceiver.

What I need are some ideas for short wire antennas which can be preamplified
and hopefully will give me less noise than my tx antenna.  Dennis, N0CKD,
posted on here the other day about a 128 foot long wire at 30 feet he is
using for receive purposes but I don't really have the  horizontal room to
do this.  Ideally what I need is something 65 feet or shorter that I can
feed at some distance from the shack to eliminate pick up of noises from
computers and other things in the shack.  Any suggestions any of you might
have concerning this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX
Navy Marine Corps MARS:  NNN0SHS