Re: Topband: Short Receive Antennas

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Short Receive Antennas
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:49:17 +0000

You might want to look at an article in QST by K6STI, who
experimented/made a "noise-cancelling" antenna. It was
a wire antenna, 25 or more feet on a side, with open wire feed
lines from two opposing corners that went to a center pole and
box with a matching xfmr, etc.  One of the feed lines was twisted 180 deg
to cancel local noise signals.  QST article was Sep 1995, page 33.
and pages following....might be worth a look.

I built one of those a few years ago, and still have it. While it occasionally provides better reception than my other antennas, most of the time its performance is disappointing. I pretty much consider mine wasted effort.