Topband: EU opening

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: EU opening
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 06:28:00 -0800 (PST)
All the reports of west coast to EU QSO's and not one
from me! Oh Well!

I listened while all the southern guys were having
fun. Never heard a single european station at all last
night. Not a peep. Surprising since N6TR was hearing
some and Tree is only a couple hundred miles away if
that.

However even that much further south seems to make a
difference. I had an aurora opening on 6 meters just
prior to the reported topband opening and could just
barely detect W1AW. I expected to hear something since
the evening before I was able to QSO 4 european
stations even though the K index was pretty high.

FWIW, if the K index is 3 or higher, 99% of the time I
can't hear anything on topband. It's that 1% that
keeps me from cutting the guys wires on the vertical
and taking up VHF full time!

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg