Topband: Quality of QTH fro 160m reception - local daytime noise ontopba

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Quality of QTH fro 160m reception - local daytime noise ontopband
From: "Ulli Grunow" <ulli@planet.nl>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 11:19:29 +0100
Hi guys,

After almost 3 years of QRT and moving from Holland to Belgium, I
finally found a place to put my radio again?
Unfortunately the only way is to set-up the station in a rather
industrial area.
Is it worse all the work building up a large station for low-band ?!?

I was wondering, what the noise level is there - most of the offices in
this area are closed in the evening?
So I made the test to checked the noise level, but still I have no idea,
whether I hear good or bad here:

Rx: FT-1000MP with 500Hz CW filters
Ant: very short vertical (10feet = 6m) with 4 toploading wires (10feet
each = 6m)?. See www.w8ji.com <http://www.w8ji.com/>  for the design
Antenna was of cause tuned to 160m band (50Ohm coax cable of 40m long)

The readout of my FT-1000MP showed very constant about S4-5 noise,
during daytime (in 500Hz) and s8 to s9 with 2.4khz bandwidth?.. later in
the evening noise got little less when the band was really open and some
european stations reached 59+20db and more?
Strange, because I thought the noise should be higher in the evening,
due to additional athmospheric noise?.

What can I do, to better examine this QTH on it?s capability for weak
signal reception ?
I still have no idea, whether the noise level is acceptable to further
put a lot of energy in building up a big station an at the very end, I
cannot hear the stations who may call me?.
Has someone an idea ?

What are your daytime and average nighttime noise levels (please mention
your antenna and receiver bandwidth)

A portable spectumanalyser is unfortunatly out of my reach?.hi

Thanks fors ome advice to test the location on noise level?.

Ulli, ON/PA5AT
e-mail: ulli@planet.nl