Re: Topband: Quality of QTH fro 160m reception - local daytime noiseonto

To: <ulli@planet.nl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Quality of QTH fro 160m reception - local daytime noiseontopband
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:18:27 -0500
Rx: FT-1000MP with 500Hz CW filters
Ant: very short vertical (10feet = 6m) with 4 toploading
wires (10feet
each = 6m).. See www.w8ji.com <http://www.w8ji.com/>  for
the design
Antenna was of cause tuned to 160m band (50Ohm coax cable of
40m long)>>>

I think you mean 20 feet tall and 20 feet top hat wires.

The readout of my FT-1000MP showed very constant about S4-5
noise,
during daytime (in 500Hz) and s8 to s9 with 2.4khz
bandwidth... later in
the evening noise got little less when the band was really
open and some
european stations reached 59+20db and more.
Strange, because I thought the noise should be higher in the
evening,
due to additional athmospheric noise..>>

In my case the daytime noise is not audible with full
receiver gain on a FT1000D and 2.4kHz selectivity and a
similar antenna. The nighttime noise is barely moving the S
meter on 2.4 kHz selectivity.

When I amplify the antenna to make signal level comparisons,
I normally see about 10-20dB night over day time noise
increase.

If you see a noise decrease at night or no dramatic
increase, you are very clearly local noise limited. That
doesn't mean you won't hear things, but it probably means
you could have a better location.

73 Tom