Topband: toploading of shunt fed tower

To: topband reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: toploading of shunt fed tower
From: Jim Hoge <knowkode@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 07:28:24 -0800 (PST)
Greetings,

I have a 70' crankup tower that I am considering shunt-feeding for 160m. The
question is this: The tower supports a Tennadyne T-12 12 element log periodic
antenna that is not electrically connected to the mast and tower. Should I
install a relay that will electrically connect the antenna to the tower or is
there sufficient coupling to provide the needed toploading? Or, will I get all
of the toploading available in the antenna if I rely solely on it coupling?

Tnx,
Jim
W5QM