Topband: 160 Last Night - and Clicks...

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Last Night - and Clicks...
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:56:36 +0000 (GMT)
Managed to work quite a few G stations in the RSGB
contest last night - first time since 2001 that
conditions have supported that.

UK9AA was heard for over an hour, ranging from
339/zero up to 579 towards his sunrise. N1EU was also
calling - thanks Barry for your very courteous
operating. I knew for certain that we were on a hiding
to nothing when he gave 479 to YO2LDC who was 599
here! Oh well...

Glad that several more NA stations made it into the
6O0CW log, although he seems to leave the band as soon
as things get even a little bit tough.

An anonymous station said last night that I had
clicks. (Note: I will not acknowledge anonymous
callers!) I am really flummoxed about this as I have
believed that my transmission is now clean, a view
that is supported by several knowledgeable listeners
that I have asked to check. Immediately after the
report I looked at the signal on the scope, the
rise/fall times are still about 4.5ms, and there is no
hot switching whether or not the amplifier is in
circuit, and whether or not I am using full break-in.
There is some ripple on the signal, but well under
10%.

I am not at all sure what else, if anything, I can do.
Stock IC765s have a rise/fall time of about 2.5ms and
hot switch on break, and mine are certainly much
better than that. I spent a great deal of time looking
at how I could improve the waveshaping, and whilst it
could theoretically obviously be further improved I
believe that it would involve very significant changes
to the circuitry. And I am not presently convinced
that I genuinely have a problem.

73 Roger
VE3ZI