Re: Topband: 160 Last Night

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Last Night
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:39:56 -0500
> UK9AA was heard for over an hour, ranging from
> 339/zero up to 579 towards his sunrise.

Yes, big signal as I could copy him through the S9 roar of
noise from unknown device(s) I have to deal with in that
part of the band!!  But as noted he wasn't hearing well.

> Glad that several more NA stations made it into the
> 6O0CW log, although he seems to leave the band as soon
> as things get even a little bit tough.

I suppose that's typical of many DXpeditions which lack a
strong low band focus?

The night before last there may have been some spotlight
affect again, as 3 Maine stations worked them in a very
short period of time.  All 3 were less than 60 miles from
me, and the 6O0CW signal showed a remarkable peak at my
station during those few minutes.  I had managed to work
them the previous evening.

It was nice to work a number of old (and new) friends in the
RSGB contest.  I was very pleased to work GM8OEG who asked
for repeats on my call.  I figured QRM/N or I was weak.  I
later got an email explaining that he got it the first time
but not being able to believe the USA was calling he asked
for it repeated in an effort to make a G out of the N.  Top
band: always full of surprises!

73,
Paul  N1BUG