Topband: Paths between FT5X and North America

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Paths between FT5X and North America
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:34:26 -0500
Hi Bud,

        K7CA is actually near the SW corner of Utah...
not near Salt Lake, which puts him about 900 miles
SSW of FT5XO's antipode in the SW corner of VE5,
according to the map at www.dxmap.com/.

        When I was in Colorado, my QTH was about
300 miles NW of FT5ZB's exact antipode in SE
Colorado.  He was very regular at my sunrise, always
via direct path which was NW.  He ran 80-90W to an
18m high inverted-L fed with a 160m piece of RG-8,
so power at the antenna was probably about 60W.
Dany was quite Q5 most of the time.  I worked him
many times from December thru April and he once
peaked S7-8 on the 930 meter.  There is no doubt in
my mind about the magic of antipodal locations after
that experience!

        Tonight I saw FT5XO actually move my S-meter
here for the first time.  Of course it could be that it
was the first time I could see it anywhere near the
noise floor since the bad thunderstorm cells began
over a week ago!  The weather forecast looks calm
for the next several days and hopefully the good
propagation will hold and let them have a strong
finish to the expedition.  I hope they will plan a return
trip to FT5W but go a little earlier next time and avoid
our stormy weather season!

                                73 & GL to all!

                                Bill  W4ZV