Re: Topband: Paths between FT5X and North America

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Paths between FT5X and North America
From: "Don Moman" <ve6jy@3web.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:32:30 -0000
Hi Bill;

Seeing that antipode in southwestern VE5 prompted me to send in comments
from up here in more northerly VE6 land.

Larry VE5UA/6 in NE Alberta (about 140 km  NE of me)  worked them at 0132
utc on the 27th.  Not loud but enough to hear and work. His antenna is a low
dipole w/ends at 48 and 56 feet.  I didn't hear them here that night, but I
don't feel that I hear that well at all and have some local flare stack
igniter QRN that doesn't help.  Subsequent nights we have both heard them in
0130 - 0200 time slot but marginal.  My antenna is a inv V at 140'. I'm
located about 50km NE of Edmonton.  The beverages here have not heard him at
all so I can give no indication of what direction was best.  80 and 40m
QSO's have been N thru NE area.  They have been good on 80m most nights,
always showing around  0130.  I have been negligent in checking for them at
sunrise here....

73 Don
VE6JY