Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna Analyzers
From: W5UN <w5un@wt.net>(by way of Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:29:21 -0500
        Great suggestion from W5UN!  I just did
this to my VA1 and then used a soldering iron
to smooth any sharp projections above the case.

        BTW, I omitted one other feature I like
about the VA1.  You can change impedance
from 50 ohms to 11 other common feedline
impedances up to 450 ohms.

                        73,  Bill  W4ZV

 >P.S.  I wish both MFJ and Autek would make a
 >more positive power switch...it's too easy to
 >accidentally turn the power on with either one.

W5UN:

  Hint, Take a sharp pair of cutters and snit off the top of the power-on
switch plastic pushbutton on the VA1. I've cut mine back to the point where
I need to use my finger nail to press it down far enough to turn it on or
off. Works well. This was mentioned by the VA1 maker on his website, I think.

My only complaint about any of the current generation of analyzers is that
strong RF levels in the area will distort the reading accuracy. I wish
someone would make one of these things that put out a couple of watts so
that this shortcoming could be overcome. I realize the problem of illegal
emission, so I'm sure that's why none exist. My old Micromatch passive
bridge still comes in handy here as a final word.

73, Dave - W5UN                                         w5un@wt.net

homepage: http://web.wt.net/~w5un    Grid: EM23mg

RR 10, Box 27
Mount Pleasant, TX 75455