Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums

To: "Michael Keane K1MK" <k1mk@arrl.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums
From: "Ford Peterson" <ford@cmgate.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:05:09 -0500
> At 01:00 PM 10/19/05, Ford Peterson wrote:
>>What is interesting about October 17th has to do with what lore
>>refers to as the "harvest moon."
>
> You're a month (or a moon) too late. That was the Hunter's Moon.
>
> The full moon back on Sep. 17 was this year's Harvest Moon.
> <http://www.space.com/spacewatch/full_moon_names_2005.html>
>
> 73,
> Mike K1MK

Mike,

Your reference gives native Americans as the source of the phrase.  Ever heard
of "Octoberfest?"  They've been celebrating a harvest moon for many millenia.
And it is the full moon that occurs during harvest, which in the case of the
soybeans in the field across the highway from me was yesterday, not a month
ago.  The 28 day lunar month (13 / year) vs the 30.42 day calendar month (12 /
year) gives rise to the confusion.  Call it what you will, the name is a
distraction from the issue.  There is only one when the moon rises at the same
time as the sun sets.

It seems that if enhancement is due to magnetic interactions of the heavenly
bodies in peculiar alignment, then the fact that the Sun's magnetic field flips
180 degrees every so often should also provide a clue as to what is happening.
The earth's field flips from time-to-time too, albiet every 600,000 years or so.

Polar propagation is almost unheard of on Topband.  But it does occur.  We
consistantly get "Boring" reports on-or-about this time of year.  Coincidence?
Maybe...  Tree's been doing this for years.  Maybe we should check the archives?

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com