Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Moonlight & K-sums
From: Charles Bibb <zedkay@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 19:13:19 -0500
Has anyone else considered that if propagation conditions on topband are
indeed enhanced by a full moon or a harvest moon that the effect might have
more to do with tidal effects on the ionosphere than any sort of
electromagnetic reflectivity of the moon's surface?

If the moon can induce changes in costal sea-level amounting to dozens of
feet, then what effects could it exert on a much lighter (less dense)
medium, and one that is far less constrained (near-zero gravity) by Earth's
gravity?

Such "ionospheric tides" could elongate, distort, tilt, perturb, etc. the
radio-reflective layers of our atmosphere in ways we have not yet
discovered, possibly leading to the propagation enhancements that some
claim to observe.

Something to think about (and research),

Charles - K5ZK