Re: Topband: K9AY noise question

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: K9AY noise question
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 01:51:46 +0000
NI1N noted:

>Last night I happened to be listening on 160m as I went through my "shutdown
>procedure", which includes retracting the elements on my 4 element SteppIR.
>I noticed that when the SteppIR's elements were in motion, the noise level
>went up about 50% on the K9AY loop on 160m.

N6KI has been working on suppressing motor noise on his MonstIR.

With control line choked at SteppIR dipole at top of mast with torroid
& a solenoidal choke at base of roof tower & running parallel with
other lines from tower for entire length of some 15-20m overall, it was
only on the tower as an antenna that I really heard the motors here.
That's quite extreme compared to the situation Tom enjoys, so perhaps
some strategic choking might help?

What is the total control line length?  I've experienced broadband
noise (like from dickie street lamp bulb) that peaked in signal strength
around where lamp post length was a 1/4 wavelength - everywhere
I turned, there was noise (foot path lamp posts are close to 30 &
street lamps close to 40 here).  I wonder if that might also be working
against you & a significant improvement might be had by looking at
that if it is close to the right length.

73, VR2BrettGraham