Topband: contact-relay cleaners

To: "160" <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: contact-relay cleaners
From: "Robin" <wb6tza@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:52:46 -0700
Contact cleaners ( for you old timers, Tuner cleaner).

This particular product line used to be known as Cramolin
company is now CAIG
They make a line of cleaners/lubes and protectants under the DeoxIT label

http://www.caig.com/
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f
is the common red label can

==============
another less common source of specialty cleaners and chemicals is

http://www.miller-stephenson.com/

they have several useful products

while it is not a contact cleaner, I use a TFE spray on a lot of the things
I do
MS-122 is a dry release agent for mold processes, and is an excellent dry
lubricant.  I have used it successfully on the 3 inch hairpin jumpers in
our antenna patch bay at some 40 KW and it does not accumulate dust and
dirt

I also use MS122 on the tuning sleeve and shafts of UHF cavities when I
rebuild them - they tune much more smoothly afterwards- years afterwards

MS-124 is a connector lube that really makes life much better with
multi=pin connectors, but does have some residue that can accumulate dirt
at the wrong time

between these two manufacturers, there is certain to be a contact
cleaner/protectant applicable to your task.   Just be sure to read
carefully- one of the things Tuner Cleaners would do - since they had a
light oil in the mix- is to soak into the wafer in phenolic wafer switches,
and then attract dirt- with an ugly result after a few years.

Never use a residue cleaner on a ceramic wafer switch (think Tektronix in
the 60-70s)

robin, wa6cdr