Re: Topband: Gamma match problem

To: df9ox@gmx.de, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Gamma match problem
From: Earl W Cunningham <k6se@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 07:29:07 -0800
Andy, DF9OX wrote:

"Problem is: Now I have a fine AM medium-wave gamma-matched tower.
Resonance frequency is below 1700 kHz, Variabel-cap says abt 130 pF.
Bandwith +/- 15kHz  (border SWR 2).... Could be rented by AM-Pirates....
:-)...

Question: How can I bring the QRG up to 1830kHz?"
==========
On a shunt-fed tower with a gamma (single capacitor) match, there are
only three ways (to my knowledge) of raising the frequency of the best
SWR:

1) Move the shunt wire tap point down the tower, closer to ground.

2) Decrease the spacing of the shunt wire to the tower.

3) Use a larger diameter shunt wire or use a multiple shunt wire "cage".

Andy says that options 1 and 2 are not possible, so option 3 is his only
possibility unless he decides to change his single-capacitor "gamma"
match to some other method of tuning.

73, de Earl, K6SE