Topband: An Admission

To: "Topband Reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: An Admission
From: "Greg - ZL3IX" <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:23:29 +1300
Well, guys, I have to admit that I sometimes self spot as well.  My reasons
are similar to those of Tree in his earlier post.  Sometimes the band sounds
totally dead, and I wonder just how dead.  If I give folks a frequency to
listen on, they may spend a few minutes just on that spot, to see if I come
out the QSB, while if they were tuning across at random, they would not do
that.  I certainly pause for a while when I know for sure that someone is
calling on a particular freq.

I do it with guys I have worked many times before, and I use ON4KST's LF
Chat for the same reason.  Being relatively new (8 years) to TB, I have a
lot to learn about propagation, but listening to the fading patterns on
signals I know to be present, has taught me a lot that I would not otherwise
have picked up.

No crime in that I hope.

There's no doubt that the Internet has CHANGED the way we do radio.  Some of
it IS bad.  I have received listener cards from guys who were 4 and 5 hours
into daylight when they claimed they heard me.  It's not all bad though, so
let's all do it as it grabs us.

73, Greg, ZL3IX