Re: Topband: An Admission

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: An Admission
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:38:24 -0500
I apologize if this is getting too far off topic. This will be my
one and only post on this subject.

Greg - ZL3IX wrote:
> Well, guys, I have to admit that I sometimes self spot as well.

I don't make a practice of it but I have done it a couple of times
for a different reason. For example: Last season the band suddenly
popped open to Japan, a very rare occurrence here in Maine.
Immediately there were large pileups calling every JA station. Many
of the QSOs included something like "GE so nice to C U agn" from
those more favorably situated to work that part of the world, making
it very difficult for those of us with a marginal path to have any
chance of getting our first JA QSO. I self-spotted my CQ in the hope
some JA who wasn't running a pile would look for me. I fail to see
how this is any worse than the time honored tradition of arranging
skeds with DX stations to get a "first" QSO.

> There's no doubt that the Internet has CHANGED the way we do radio.

There are those who seem to feel the internet and spotting shouldn't
be used at all. Clearly QSOs assisted by passing of reports via
other means *can be* over the line if it's for a first-time QSO and
a QSL will be sought. If it's between stations who have worked each
other many times and is purely for informational purposes, I don't
have a problem with it.

Responsible internet/packet spotting seems no different to me than
calling a friend on the phone or local VHF frequency to tell him a
station he needs is coming through. That has been going on a lot
longer than DX clusters have been around, but I have yet to hear any
grumbling about it.

The DX clusters and chats such as ON4KST greatly enhance the top
band experience for me. I enjoy being able to chat with fellow DXers
while perusing the band. The comraderie is very enjoyable and it's
nice to be able to follow and learn about propagation in other parts
of the world.

To each his own and I agree with Tom. We dinosaurs had all better
stick together before we become extinct. Our days are numbered. I
spent the last 15 years chasing DX on VHF/EME. My species has become
almost completely eradicated there now, so last year I migrated back
to 160.

Back to having fun...

73,

Paul N1BUG