Re: Topband: roofing filter FT1000 (D)

To: Bert Hollander <pa7mm@wxs.nl>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: roofing filter FT1000 (D)
From: Larry Molitor <w7iuv@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:38:16 -0800 (PST)
Bert Hollander <pa7mm@wxs.nl> wrote:  Hello, i am curious anyone has experience
on topband with the new roofing filter from Inrad for the FT1000(D) series.
I decided to upgrade my old FT1000 (see also the w8ji site) and keep it for
more years. Also i am not using  the Ft1000 250 hz
filters because of to much signal loss..      Change into 400hz filters
worthwhile ?Bet,
   i recently installed the Inrad roofing filter in my  FT1000D.  If you are
looking for a magic bullet, this is not it.  However, it does what is is
supposed to do. It provides a noticeable  improvement in topband CW operation
by virtue of helping to minimize  the effect nearby strong signals. This is
most noticeable in the  operation of the noise blanker. Casual operators might
not notice the  difference, but it is there and if you are after the last
possible bit  of improvement, it's worth the money.

  The kit is well done with good instructions and an easy installation.

  BTW, if I didn't have my 250 Hz filter, I'd have to give up low band  CW. If
yours causes "too much signal loss" I'd say the filter has gone  bad and should
be replaced. No signal loss in mine.

  73,

  Larry - W7IUV
  DN07dg - central WA