Re: Topband: roofing filter FT1000 (D)

To: "Bert Hollander" <pa7mm@wxs.nl>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: roofing filter FT1000 (D)
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <rlc@berliner.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:44:22 -0800
Bert, PA7MM said:  Hello, i am curious anyone has experience on topband
with the new roofing filter from Inrad for the FT1000(D) series.
I decided to upgrade my old FT1000 (see also the w8ji site) and keep it
for more years. Also i am not using  the Ft1000 250 hz
filters because of to much signal loss..      Change into 400hz filters
worthwhile ?

Hi Burt,

I also have the FT1000 and have owned it since 1991.  I did exactly what
you are considering - purchased the INRAD Roofing Filter, put in the
W7JI NB mod, and put in the 1.8 khz INRAD crystal filters.

I really like INRAD and think their products are great.  Frankly,
however, I did not notice a dramatic difference when I put in the
roofing filter.  I found the change unremarkable. The problem really is
there is no way (for me) to compare by switching the filter in and out
(i.e. A vs. B tests).  It was easy to install and appears well made like
all INRAD products. I am not saying it does not work, only that I did
not see a significant difference, although I also admit it is difficult
to evaluate because you can't do A vs. B tests like when you switch
filters from 500 hz to 250 hz, etc.

Sorry I can't be of more help.  My feeling is it was worth doing since
it did not cost much, and definitely do not hurt the performance.

73,

Bob/AA6VB

P.S.  Please forward any results.