Re: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower

To: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt Fed Tower
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:26:38 -0600
> I wonder whether the tower is electrically long enough to get by with a
> simple shunt feed even with the wire going to the top of the tower.
>
> Thanks...Stan, K5GO
____

At 60 feet, a shunt wire should go all the way to the top. Two wires spaced
the width of the tower face will improve the bandwidth, especially if they
are installed more than a foot away from the tower (they make the tower
'fatter'). The second tribander halfway up is a wild card for matching,
since it adds loading that may reduce the current above it. Routing the
shunt wires past it can be problem, too, unless it's fixed on EU or JA like
some guys do.

A number of years ago, I had 65 ft. of 25G with a small tribander and shorty
40 on top -- I shunt fed it with two wires to the 60-ft. level. A single
capacitor in series gave me 2:1 or better VSWR over the lower part of the
band, which my rig handled OK. An L- or T-network would have been better.

73, Gary
K9AY